Welcome First Time Home Buyers!
Congratulations on taking the first step to home ownership!
Buying your first home can seem overwhelming! Where do I start, can I afford it, what about repairs, who cuts the grass..
The good news....you know a real estate agent (i.e. ME). My goal is to educate you on the process and ease your fears. You can do this, it may take months or even a few years depending on your situation and goals but at least your getting started. Many first time home buyers start the process by looking online for properties that are for sale, unfortunately you may be jumping the gun and skipping critical steps needed to prepare for the home buying process.
Here are a few steps you can take to get started TODAY:
- Determine your S.M.A.R.T. Goals- Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, Time-based. Here are a few examples of short and long term goals:
- Pay down all credit cards to below 30% utilization by April 2020
- Pay off 3 bad debts on credit report by August 2020
- Increase credit score to above 700 by October 2020
- Purchase a home to be used as my primary residence by December 2020
- Evaluate your current financial situation
- What is your monthly budget (income, expenses, savings, investing etc.)
- Access your free credit report
- Determine you FICO credit score- Many banks and credit cards now offer your FICO score right from within their online portal. It is also important to know the difference between a Vantage Score and FICO score.
- Track your spending- Many banks now offer tools right from their online portal. Another app that can be used is Intuits Mint.
- Educate yourself- Visit our Education Center to learn more about the buying process.
- Research the home buying process
- Research First time home-buyers programs
- Prepare for financing
- Reduce debt
- Use our calculators to determine how much home you can afford
- Save for down-payment
- Get Pre-approved for a mortgage
- Determine your home buying criteria
- Price range
- Number of bedrooms etc.
Need help getting started? Contact me for a consultation and if you have not already please register on my site. This will allow me to customize your searches and collaborate with you during your home buying process.